Paul,

Just checking; I thought there was something in this question that
wasn't obvious.
It seems more likely that IBM would fix or replace BPXBATCH than to
change JCL and how EXEC PGM works.
(FWIW, COZBATCH is < 1 KLOC).

Besides - what you want in most cases for Unix binaries is to run the
user's default login shell and have input via "//STDIN DD *" (and have
it all run in the original address space).  Changing "EXEC" to handle
Unix binaries would not necessarily address this aspect, nor the
problem that z/OS Unix standard files (fds) can't be automatically
redirected to/from MVS datasets.

Happy New Year,
Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

PS> Re: "Prohibitive"(?): COZBATCH is *free* to use but we offer paid
commercial support agreements if you require.