Dear Colleagues,

I have the following problem:

a piece of software that I'm not allowed to change due to legal reasons
walks through the LLE list to look for a specific module. And it does this
very often. I cannot change this behaviour. This consumes 5 percent of CPU
of some of our production regions, because the LLE list is very long.

Now I'm thinking of passing control to another TCB with a shorter LLE list
before calling this piece of software. But the overhead of ATTACHing a
subtask every time I call this interface is far too high. A much faster technique
of switching to another TCB would be needed.

Do you have any idea how I could accomplish this task? This should run in
normal user mode, no supervisor state. There might be some overhead on the
first call, but the subsequent calls must be fast. The existing loop fetches the start of the
LLE list from the own TCB, and the address of the own TCB comes from a
fixed storage location (X'21C', IIRC). I cannot change this coding, unfortunately -
well, I could, but I'm not allowed to do it.

What about POST/WAIT communication between the two tasks? I guess, this
will probably solve our CPU problem, but the elapsed time will be much higher.

Any other ideas?

Kind regards

Bernd