-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 9:32 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: JCL QUESTION

<SNIIPAGE>
Perhaps the same reason you allocate SYSPRINT and SYSOUT in an IEFBR14
step.  (What about SYSIN?)  Habit?  Perhaps your installation has a
different version of IEFBR14 from mine.

I used SPACE=(1,0).  I'm a minimalist.  Does thle involve less
work cleaning up the VTOC on DELETE?  But I agree, IDCAMS is
better; it avoids a job step with 3 allocations, and it avoids
creating a data set only to delete it immediately.

<SNIP>

Seriously, I knew that you do this in ALLOC under TSO. But I've never
seen SPACE=(1,1) work in JCL. I just looked at my old 1.7 manual and as
I read it, you must code the allocation unit parm.

Uh, OK, is it assuming a block of 1 byte in this case?

Regards,
Steve Thompson