-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Lindy Mayfield
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:11 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: How many mainframes are there?

Just curious how many mainframes are in the world.  And also how many
mainf=
rame people  (sysprogs, developers, etc).

I just wanted to know how exclusive a club am I in.  Then of course I
have =
to decide if I want to belong to a club that would have me a member.
Hopin=
g it doesn't get to that.

<SNIP>

Are you referring to just IBM type mainframes, or do you wish to include
UNISYS, and Honeywell (the ones that I remember and think are still
manufacturing)?

As to IBM mainframes, do you want to know how many are still under IBM
service, or are running naked? In the latter case, I don't think IBM
knows how many of those are out there  -- until they need to get an
upgrade.

Regards,
Steve Thompson