It is true that "back in the good old days" companies would have
internal training to teach programming skills.  My first job after
college and the military was with a bank as an application programmer.
Back then they coded everything in IBM Assembler because it was more
efficient than COBOL.  Up until then I had coded COBOL, Fortran, and
ALGOL (my college had a Burroughs B5500 for student work).  I hadn't
done anything in assembler so it was very new to me.  The company had an
excellent self-paced course to train in the basics of assembler.  I
picked up on it quickly.  Besides that there were several people there
who made great mentors in the topic.  There was one in particular who is
still a good friend of mine.

There is a problem today that companies complain about not having the
skills available in areas like COBOL, but they are not willing to spend
the money or time to train their employees in those skills.

Tom Kelman
Enterprise Capacity Planner
Commerce Bank of Kansas City
(816) 760-7632

If you wish to communicate securely with Commerce Bank and its
affiliates, you must log into your account under Online Services at
http://www.commercebank.com or use the Commerce Bank Secure
Email Message Center at https://securemail.commercebank.com

confidential. The information is exclusively for the use of the
individual or entity intended as the recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, any use, copying, printing, reviewing,
retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the message
or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic mail message in error, please
advise the sender by reply electronic mail immediately and
permanently delete the original transmission, any attachments
and any copies of this message from your computer system.