I was inexact. I was thinking totally in terms of relative generation numbers.
There is no JCL construct which says: "Give the the oldest (lowest
numbered)existing GDG". There is for the question: "Give me the youngest
(highest numbered) existing GDG", that is gdg(0). Neither is there a __SIMPLE__
API to answer that question. Yes, I know about CAMLST / LOCATE,  and IGGCSI00,
and scraping a LISTC output. I said, and mean (brain dead), SIMPLE.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell