*There is theory and there is reality. If you have a shop where the software
management process is essentially whatever was a good idea at the time,
software and hardware upgrades will be painfully time consuming unless you
are willing to accept outages.*
**
*If the system has been designed to be easy to maintain and has implemented
simplification, standardization and automation, then software and hardware
upgrades can be surprisingly economical, except for the person with the
vision and knowledge to accomplish this, that person will probably be
expensive, so throw your corporate salary schedule out the window.*

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM, Kopischke, David G. <
dgkopisc...@oppenheimerfunds.com> wrote:

> I know this has been discussed many times in the past, but I thought I'd
> bring it up again.
>
> Does anyone know of any research involving recommendations for staffing
> levels for z shops ??? And what it is based on; MIPS, Employee count,
> etc ???
>
> Thanks again,
>    Dave K.

> This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
> privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s)
> to whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any
> person other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's
> designees is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or
> their designee, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and
> delete all copies. OppenheimerFunds may, at its sole discretion, monitor,
> review, retain and/or disclose the content of all email communications.

Glen J. Gasior
(630) 712-2104
Chicago, Illinois 60611
"Leadership that improves the process of change"

Simplification of an IT system has many rewards. It can address the need for
skills by making existing personnel more productive and by reducing the time
needed for someone new to gain proficiency on the platform. It can  address
overall operational efficiency by reducing the components and steps for
tasks, and by streamlining existing processes. It can address quality of
service and availability by reducing the time involved with addressing a
problem, or by reducing the probability of the error even being introduced.