On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 09:58:06 -0500, Glen Gasior
<glen.manages....@gmail.com> wrote:

>*There is theory and there is reality. If you have a shop where the software
>management process is essentially whatever was a good idea at the time,
>software and hardware upgrades will be painfully time consuming unless you
>are willing to accept outages.*

>*If the system has been designed to be easy to maintain and has
implemented
>simplification, standardization and automation, then software and hardware
>upgrades can be surprisingly economical, except for the person with the
>vision and knowledge to accomplish this, that person will probably be
>expensive, so throw your corporate salary schedule out the window.*

Spot on.  The question becomes analagous to the entire mainframe (big
server) vs "chickenplex" question:

"Would your rather plow with an Ox, or with 10,000 Chickens?"

Said another way:  Pay a small number of highly skilled technicians to build
and maintain your environment to a higher RAS standard, or pay a larger
number of trained firefighters to keep the shop from burning down.  I argue a
shop needs both skill sets, but with an emphasis on developing a fire-resistant
architecture.  I'm willing to pay decent money for contractors that understand
and meet fire code specifications for connecting my garage, so the firefighters
have ample time to prevent a garage fire from taking my house, but I'm also
glad I have a fire station within two miles (and I'm as willing to pay my taxes
to keep them close).

Regards,
Art Gutowski
Ford Motor Company