On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:08:43 -0400, George Henke <gahe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Just before cutover, the tape management system, IBM's RMM (Removable
Media
>Management), inadvertently released 1000's of tapes to the SCRATCH pool
by
>mistake.

>Had that condition persisted 24 hours it would have been a complete
>disaster, nightmare.
>Needless to say there are also software reasons for eliminating tape.

Just to be clear, our implementation is virtual tape. We still use TMS to
manage the virtual tapes. If something like this were to have happened to us,
the tapes would have gone scratch. There is no operator intervention. We
have a code gateway for passing scratch tape VOLSERs to the VTL. Any
anomolies have to be caught in the code or the volumes go scratch. With
tape, you can recover the data if the volume hasn't been overwritten. With
the VTL, probably not.