On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:00:44 -0700, Mark Yuhas <mark.yu...@paccar.com> wrote:

>Since CA is now going to distribute updates and releases via MSM, does
>this mean that all of CA's products will follow the same methodology for
>installation?

_All_ is a hard word.  _Almost all_ is easier to defend (and achieve).  We
keep a scoreboard of products and their adherence to the various MSM
functions here:
http://www.ca.com/us/products/collateral.aspx?cid=205030

>Furthermore, CA-11 makes certain assumptions.  I was given a CA-11
>installation tape with a service pack.  When I attempted to install it,
>I found missing modules and JCL.  After some email discussions, I
>learned the service pack tape was built with the assumption I had to
>order and install the original release which had the missing elements.
>Is CA-11 going to change?

When a product joins the CA MSM family of supportable products and does not
behave properly under CA MSM, you should should open an issue with us (or,
in the future, the appropriate software vendor).

>We will eventually go to MSM, but, I sure would like to know if all CA
>products are using the same disciplines?  If not, why not?

By May 2011, _almost all_ of the entire portfolio will be manageable through
MSM.  Some products are functionally stabilized (may never be MSM
installable, but may become MSM maintainable, deployable, configurable) and
others are a much larger work to complete.  If you are interested in a
product that is not currently supported, please drop me a note at scott
(dot) fagen (at) ca (dot) com.

Thanks,
Scott Fagen
Chief Architect - Mainframe