-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Jeffrey Deaver
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:59 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Geographic separation of primary and backup/DR sites

>Also remember if DR is fairly close to base make sure they are on
>separate power grids or at least have generators.

That is such a nebulous term, "power grid".  Anyone have more definite
references for what that should mean?  Does it just mean separate power
substations?  That the ultimate feed comes from completely different
generating plants?  Of different types? (Nuke vs Coal?)  And how exactly
do
you find out information like that?  And can't the power down the last
mile
be coming from one place today and other tomorrow depending on how the
power company manages it?

While I'm sure this is not comprehensive, this Blackout Tracker website
gives some interesting insight into power outages...
http://powerquality.eaton.com/blackouttracker/default.asp
<SNIP>

The North East power outage that wrapped Lake Erie shows that EATON's
map is, well, misleading.

I would contact the power company that supplies power to the current HQ
Data Center (as in who you pay for electricity). I would ask them what
regional grid they are part of and the area that grid covers. When they
ask what you mean, just say AEP and FirstEnergy, where the grid ringing
Lake Erie went dark...

With that information, I would compare this to the company that provides
natural gas and diesel for the area where the current HQ Data Center is.
And then I would find a good location out side of this supply area to
put or contract for my recovery site. That's assuming that if the rest
of the company is toast that my data center must be functioning...

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --