> As a customer I don't want anyone hooking ENQ, GETMAIN or the PC equivalents
> it just complicates upgrades, creates problems, and complicates debugging of
> problems.

I don't know why anyone would hook Getmain, but frontending PCs is pretty
common. I suspect a large shop such as yours has vendor products that already
do it. ENQ has provided exit points so that frontending is unnecessary.

> A generalized PC hooking facility seems like an invitation to more of what
> customers want to see go away

IBM has never standardized a way to frontend or "hook" SVCs, but many vendors
have figured out how to do it without stepping on each other. When work is
moved from SVCs to PCs, vendors need to hook the PCs to provide equivalent
function. If vendors stop hooking PCs, the vendor product goes away. Probably
not good for either the customer or the vendor.

Bob Shannon
Rocket Software
rchives/ibm-main.html