> Perhaps I'm missing something here, but couldn't this be nicely done in
> IEFDB401?
>
> Some code would be necessary to rattle through the dynamic allocation
> parameter
> list, but on an allocation request, find the DSN (if present) and DISP (if
> present)
> and then, do the actual ENQ on SYSDSN (whatever).  If you get it, DEQ and
> proceed,
> otherwise use the logic you presently have.

Testing "can I get the resource" by obtaining and then releasing it doesn't
do anything productive, but it DOES drive up resource contention and
overhead. The problem with any such approach is that the state of the
resource is quite likely to be different the moment you release it, so a
subsequent attempt to obtain it would block anyway. There IS a conditional
form of ENQ you can use if you don't want to become trapped in amber while
some paleolithic production job runs all day.

--
This email might be from the
artist formerly known as CC