From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Brian Peterson
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 11:57 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: EMC Timefinder Snap and Dealloc

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:36:29 -0500, Mark Zelden wrote:

>                             Several shops I have been at (including my
first
>exposure to MVS) had a proc called "X" which was a copy of DEALLOC.
>The operator would  "VARY xxx,OFFLINE" then "S X" to  "kick in"
>deallocation.  This goes back to at least MVS SP (which was the first
>MVS I worked on).

My question is whether the enhancement to VARY OFFLINE introduced by
z/OS
1.7 eliminated the "Pending offline" state and thus any need to ever
issue
START DEALLOC - I can't remember seeing a device in "pending offline"
state
in quite a while....

http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/7/897/ENUS205-167/ENUS205-167.PD

(see page 8, bullet labeled "VARY command processing improvements")

Brian