On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:47:48 -0400, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

> [...]
Is this because there _is_no_ standard update control file format
for non-text data?

Concerning John M's suggestion (for text data) to use the UPDMVS8
option, UPDMVS8 has the onerous requirement that _both_ comparands
have valid standard sequence numbers.  (I suspect this arises from
a requirement to support PDF revision codes in 79-80).  The
UPDCMS8 option requires only that the OLD comparand be numbered.
So I resort to using UPDCMS8 followed by a filter (I do it in
Rexx) to convert UPDCMS8 to IEBUPDTE.  I suppose this sacrifices
PDF revision codes.  I don't much care.

-- gil