On 3/08/2010 00:38 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:27:40 +0000, Bill Fairchild wrote:

The BPS "supervisor" took 2K, which left 6K for the "application" program.  I never ran
this way on an 8K model 30, but you were supposedly able to configure a model 30 with only 8K.  The one I
used had 16K.  This left me with a whopping 14K for my application, which Dave Freeman once described to me
as "oceans of core", so why was I having so much trouble getting all my logic in 14K, he wanted to
know.  :-)

Gulp.  BLKSIZE=???  Or, perhaps, BLKSIZE=??  Or was it all UR?
In the late 60's we were running on a 16KB 360/20 and tried to make the main tape files have as large a blocksize as possible. From memory running BPS this was 4KB. Not infrequently additional function would be added to a program and it would exceed the approximately 15.4 KB memory we had available, Then the blocksize would get reduced and every program using that file would have to be re-assembled.

In another response on this Bill Fairchild was talking about using TOS to assemble decks. We used TPS and added an additional phase (load image to all non DOS people) with a name like ZASSEM as the invoking program because all the overlay phases had names beginning Zxxxxxxx to the SYSRES tape. Occasionally they needed to reload the invoking program by name picked up from somewhere in memory and this trick saved the tape backspace to the begimning and then subsequent forward space back to the Zxxxxxx named phases.

Another trick to eliminate SYSRES tape movement was hardcoding the macro expansion to eliminate tape movement to the macro library on the SYSRES tape

Ken