From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
zMan
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 11:25
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Date formats

How many different date formats are there? There's the hardware
timestamp, in two forms (original, with the 2046 rollover, and the
extended one -- what is that, a STCKE instruction?). There's something
called an "Oracle format date". There's some UNIX format that rolls
over in 2034 or some such (tsk, with an epoch of 1970 -- they sure
weren't planning ahead!), too.

Not to mention yy/mm/dd, mm/dd/yy, dd/mm/yy, with 2- and 4-digit
dates, varying separators (or no separators: yyyymmdd et al.), with
and without leading zeroes (when there are separators: today as
8/13/2010 vs. 08/13/2010). And of course (the misnamed) Julian format.

Rexx has a few others, but they're conveniences, like the number of
days this year -- I don't really consider that a date format, though
it's useful sometimes.

What others are there? I'm working on something that will flexibly
handle dates, and while I'm not sure I'll handle every format
possible, I'd at least like to make the decision based on a pretty
complete set of possible formats.
--
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"