In article <4c80381e.6050...@ync.net> you wrote:
> If the process seems to be working smoothly, who checks results? And how?

> We had an incident in Illinois where a license plate number was
> re-assigned but the database wasn't updated because the plate already
> appeared in the database. An innocent man was killed by State Police
> because the previous holder of that number was a badly wanted felon that
> was characterized as "Armed and Dangerous". You should have seen how
> fast the fertilizer hit the Westinghouse! But the worst damage was
> already done.

> 20-20 hindsight?

> Rick

They weren't injured, but you have to believe they were pretty scared
when the plane they were flying last Saturday was met by armed men
screaming at them. The 'criminals'? John and Martha King. Known throughout
the US for their many pilot training courses. Made the bad mistake
of flying a plane with a tail number the same as one that had been
stolen eight years ago. Different model Cessna, but I don't really
blame the police for not knowing the difference. The fault was in
not updating the database when the tail number was re-issued.

http://www.avweb.com/newspics/galleries/marthaking-securitymistake/large/02.jpg
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/John_Martha_King_Held_At_Gunpoint_203205-1.html

--
Don Poitras - SAS Development  -  SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
sas...@sas.com           (919) 531-5637                Cary, NC 27513