>If the process seems to be working smoothly, who checks results? And how?

>We had an incident in Illinois where a license plate number was
>re-assigned but the database wasn't updated because the plate already
>appeared in the database. An innocent man was killed by State Police
>because the previous holder of that number was a badly wanted felon that
>was characterized as "Armed and Dangerous". You should have seen how
>fast the fertilizer hit the Westinghouse! But the worst damage was
>already done.

>20-20 hindsight?

You're kidding right?  It sounds reasonable that a database application that
is responsible for license plates was never tested to see how it behaved in
the event of a duplicate record?  How exactly does an application not test
for duplicates?

Once again, if you don't check results, then you can't know what's wrong.

As for how? ... well that depends on the possible errors that can occur.
Every problem has a cause, and I simply don't believe that some corruption
occurred without any indication whatsoever (in the backup or in the day to
day processing).  Something occurred someplace and it was missed.