There is some confusion on my part because the OP keeps going between Opt
3.4 and ISMF.  So let me try to summarize both functions

Both have a SAVE function.

OPT 3.4
The SAVE command writes the data set list to either the ISPF list data set

or another sequential data set.  If the sequential data set exists, it is

overwritten.  If it does not exist, it is created.

    Command ===> save           writes data set list to ISPF list data set
TSOID.SPFx.LIST
    Command ===> save my        writes data set list to userid.MY.DATASETS

Once SAVE'd the user then enters LIST if they used the SAVE command without
operands.  This will bring up a panel to KEEP/DELETE/ Keep Current-Create
New.  Select the 3rd option.  Copy the name of the dataset created just
above OPT 1 in this list.

ISMF Opt 1      The SAVE function goes to the ISPTABL DD dataset.  If it is
concatenated, then it will always be the first dataset where it is saved.

You can save a displayed list in its displayed order by using the

SAVE command.  Entries and data columns scrolled off the screen are

saved.  But entries suppressed by the FILTER command (in the data set and

volume applications) and the HIDE line operator (in all ISMF applications)

are not saved.

Type SAVE and a list name and the list is saved as a member of the currently

allocated output table library.  If a member already exists with the name

you specify, the list is not saved.  Specify REPLACE if you wish to replace

an old member with a new member.

For example, if you type SAVE MYLIST REPLACE on the command line of a data

set list, the list will be saved as a member (with the name MYLIST) of the

ISPF output table library.

Note:  The first three characters of the list name must not be DGT, ISP,

or ISR.

I recommend using the LISTPRT function if you are in ISMF.  Once you pull up
your dataset list issue LISTPRT on the command line, it will provide a panel
to select fields you want (* is all fields), then a  job which you can use
to print to a dataset on SYSUT2 rather than SYSOUT(Default).

Maybe this makes more sense?

Lizette