> So maybe I need to go back a step and ask what's the best way to do
> this (given that CBT tape contributions aren't an option):
>
> I have a small system with a few userids and a bunch of cruft that's
> built up. I need to look at what's out there, find the big datasets
> that we don't need, and whack 'em. How can I most effectively do this?
> --
> zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

There are a couple of options.  Yes ISMF maybe the best option for this.
With ISMF you do have control over what dataset is produced by pressing PF7
(DOWN).  So you could have it select all the data that meets your criteria.
Then use the ISMF LISTPRT function.  Send that to a dataset and do what you
want with it.  Create a CSV dataset, transfer it to the PC and use EXCEL.

However,

In option 3.4 you can put ** on the dataset name pattern and let ISPF pull
up ALL datasets in your shop.  Depending on how many, this may take a little
bit of time to run.  Also ISPF Opt 3.4 does not have a selection for the
data (at least not one I know ).  So it would be a very large list.

You can then SAVE that list to an ISPF List dataset.  Unless you need more
information than DSN VOLSER DSORG LRECL BLKSIZE %USED TRACKS EXTENTS and
CREATE DATE, this may work for you.  You can always PREALLOCATE the ISPF
List dataset if it is too small or go into SETTINGS - LOG/LIST Menu entry to
make the dataset bigger as well.  You would change the "LIST Dataset" sizing
as there is also an entry for LOG.  It does it in pages, so you might want
to specify a very large number of pages.  Make sure you change the Linesize
(LRECL) on the ISPF List dataset.  I like using 150 for this file.

You can then enter LIST after the SAVE completes and KEEP that dataset
(Option 3)

Now you can edit, sort, do all sorts of things with that file.  You might
even code a REXX to read that file and select only those records that meet
your needs.

You could even edit down the ISPF List dataset, change it into a CSV file,
download it to a PC and then use EXCEL on the data.

I like coding REXX processes to strip reports.  But there are also other
avenues.  The fields in the ISPF List dataset from an OPT 3.4 SAVE is
consistent (column specific) and contains carriage control characters. But
it is very easy to manipulate.  Even SORT (DFSORT or SYNCSORT) can be used
to extract the data.

Caveat:  Always make a copy of your ISPF List dataset.  I cannot tell you
how many times I created one, edited and saved, then wanted to go back to
the original file data.  Because of the save I had to regenerated my listing
all over again.

HTH

Lizette