> OK, a third question: Is this even worthwhile?

In batch, perhaps?

z/OS v1.11 DFSMSdfp Storage Administration SC26-7402-13 Chapter 21 Using
NaviQuest, Performing Storage Administration tasks in Batch pg 356.
Generate a Data Set List: ACBQBAI2 pg 365.
Table 29 SYS1.SACBCNTL Sample JCL library  pg 360
- ACBJBAOU Generate dataset list, save it in a table, and generate a report
from it

I've been using "ACBJBAIX Generate a Storage Group list and report" daily to
watch the Free space in my Groups ie. SPILL < 99% means something overflowed
yesterday.

ps.  ACBJBAOB/TABL2 can be a temporary PDS/PDSE if you want to discard the
results.
pps.  I get the daily digest so this might already have been discussed.
---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer 2004