I don't think there is shortages in systems programmers yet.  I know the last 4
years, there has been maybe 3 or 4 jobs open in the Milwaukee area, out of I
figure about 10 z/OS shops.  Each opening had plenty of applicants, as far as I
can figure.

In 5 to 10 years, that could all change, but by then I'll be retired and won't
care!  There probably are shortages in some areas, and places that most people
don't want to move to.

--
Eric Bielefeld
Systems Programmer