Sridhar,

>I am trying to allocate dataset with 6672 cylinders of space across two
>volumes as a primary extent. I am told that the allocation should look
>as shown below...

>//DD1          DD  DSN=TEST.DATASET,
>//             DISP=(,KEEP),
>//             SPACE=(CYL,(3336,20)),
>//             VOL=SER=(VOlUME1,VOLUME2)

>I tried above allocation but I am getting just 3336 cylinders as initial
>allocation. What could be wrong here? Should the volumes be non-SMS? If
>they are SMS does it need some SMS rule to allocate primary space
>specified across each of the volumes?! Please help.

You need to use a storclas with guaranteed space = yes to get the primary
allocation amount to be allocated on each volume. The way your jcl is
structured, you will only allocate the primary on the first volume. You will
only allocate space on the second volume after you fill the primary space
and start allocating *ONLY* 20 cylinders at a time on the second volume.

If you do not want to use a storclas with guaranteed space = yes, you can
allocate across both volumes by using SPACE=(CYL,(3336,3336)) and
write enough data to the dataset to cause it to fill the primary space.

Regards,
John

NOTICE:  The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
intended by Convergys Corporation for the use of the named individual or entity
to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
otherwise confidential.  If you have received this electronic mail transmission
in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it,
and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone (collect), so
that the sender's address records can be corrected.