On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:51:07 -0500, Veilleux, Jon L wrote:

>You're right about STDENV, it doesn't have that restriction anymore. I guess
>my point is that if they could remove the restriction for the other files in
>BPXBATCH why not for STDIN?

Don't know.  I can only conjecture that to make this work at all
there must be an ancillary process shuttling data between your
Unix process and the Legacy data sets using something such as
select(2).  But I don't see why they chose to make this work for
output descriptors but not for input descriptors.

COZBATCH (cheaper than AOPBATCH) has no such restriction, or it
can be circumvented (SMOP) with BPXWUNIX.

A more ambitious implementation would accept a list of descriptor/
DDNAME pairs, such as:

    ( ( 0, "STDIN"  ),
      ( 1, "STDOUT" ),
      ( 2, "STDERR" ),
      ... )

You might get better answeres on MVS-OE.

-- gil