On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 13:40:56 -0600, Kirk Wolf wrote:

>Sorry, I meant that the utility itself only needs one process, but it still
>must (local) spawn a "logon shell" process.
>The utility doesn't need multiple threads or processes to handle I/O
>redirection to the shell.

That utility is what I regard as an "ancillary process", since
it uses spawn() rather than exec().

You appear to be an expert, and I didn't learn from a quick
glance at doc: Does select() poll, or is it event driven?
(Might be implementation dependent, or contingent on functions
used.)  I think WJS once remarked on MVS-OE that z/OS provides
alternatives more suitable than select().

-- gil