On 14 January 2011 15:15, Linda Mooney <linda.lst...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Well, I would rule them out, not because they obviously harvested this list
> - but because they  lied by  claiming that I had subscribed.  T he email
> address I use for this list is ONLY used for that purpose, never anything
> else.  So the statement at the end -
>
> --------snip Recovery Knowledge
> PO Box 20870
> Long Beach California 90801
> United States

> click here to modify your message preferences or to unsubscribe from any
> future mailings. We will respect all unsubscribe requests.
>
> --------end snip

> is a lie.  I did not subscribe and no company with which I do business,
> either personally or professionally has this email address.  So, they and
> tried to trick me.  That's a lot different than someone finding (or
> harvesting) an email address and sending me unsolicited email.  I am not
> going to respond to the note because I don't want to confirm the live address
> for them.  Of course, they are probably lurking here anyway.  I hope that
> they do read this discussion and learn something.

Well, they don't claim that *you* subscribed, but rather that you
*are* subscribed, presumably because *they* subscribed you to their
list. Well, one can argue the usage of "subscribe"", but the phrase
"you are subscribed" is common enough, regardless of how you got that
way.

Strangely enough, I have not received email from them, though my name
has been on this list and related others for many years.

I *have* recently received email from an IBM business partner with
similar grammatical skills to those evidently possessed by Recovery
Knowledge, but at my work email address, which is not widely
published. That bothers me a lot more, because it suggests that they
got it from IBM, and my IBM options are the strictest "no junk mail"
ones they have.

Oh, and it's evidently mainframe migration, held at an IBM site. "It
would offer, Learning on how legacy systems and green screens can be
converted into beautiful WebPages in as less as ten minutes?. "

Sigh...

Tony H.