In a recent note, Don Ault said:

> Date:         Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:12:20 -0500
>
> I contacted the FTP owners and here is what they had to say:
>    We have the same code FTP code base supporting the various z/OS
>    environments (USS, TSO, Batch, etc.)

I had suspected as much from my observation that the U** client is so
different from clients in other vendors' UNIXen.

>    FTP issues a RACROUTE EXTRACT to retrieve the TSO prefix and, if found,
> uses it
>    as the HLQ; otherwise, the userid is used as the HLQ.  Looking at the
> release IDs
>    in the code, we've been doing this since TCP V3R1 (i.e., this is ancient
> code).
>
> So if we were to change this behavior, it could cause existing code to fail.
> In
> general, we don't make incompatible changes and try to find a way to accept
> new
> requirements that allow compatibility to persist.

Ah, but you misunderstand.  The FTP behavior is clever and allows greatest
compatibility with TSO.  My complaint is with the behavior of /bin/cp,
presumably derived from the underlying CRTL.

Thanks,
gil
--
StorageTek