On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 13:28:51 +0100, Thomas Berg wrote:

>I would have preferred something like this instead of the delivered IF..THEN
>logic:
>
>//S050   EXEC  WHATEVER,RUNIF=(RC,LE,4,S010)
>                        RUNIF=(RC,8,S010)
>                        RUNIF=(RUN,S020)
>                        RUNIF=(RUN,ANY)
>                        RUNIF=(NOTRUN,S030)
>                        RUNIF=(FLUSHED,S040)
>                        RUNIF=(JCLERROR,S040)
>..and in combinations as in COND.
>etc.

Why?

Eliding the "EQ" may be more confusing than convenient.

Is there any difference between NOTRUN and FLUSHED?  If so,
should there also be a NOTFLUSHED?

The ability to test and recover from a JCLERROR is a novel
concept.  Would IBM buy it as a construct in IF...THEN?
Why not?

And why not just extend COND with the new constructs?

IF...THEN has some nice properties:

o ELSE provides a nice alternative; no need to invert the
  COND with deMorgan's Laws (and COND supports disjunction
  but not conjunction).

o IF...THEN can control multiple steps with no need to
  restate the COND on every EXEC statement (but symbol
  substitution could simplify this).

o One or more of the controlled steps can be a PROC call
  with no need to override COND on the individual PROC
  steps, and no conflict with COND in legacy library
  PROCs

o The ability to test for specific ABEND codes.

All in all, I see considerable fear of innovation here.
Perhaps, "If I couldn't run it on my turnkey MVS 3.8 under
Hercules, I'd rather not deal with it."

-- gil