Ah. Thanks (again). Doesn't IEBCOPY use the binder under the covers for load
modules, or am I thinking of a different problem?

Charles
-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Robert A. Rosenberg
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 1:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Long-running jobs, PDS, and DISP=SHR

At 09:43 -0800 on 01/24/2011, Charles Mills wrote about Re:
Long-running jobs, PDS, and DISP=SHR:

>A problem that no one has pointed out is that if a job is using a STEPLIB
>DISP=SHR and we say it is okay to update that library DISP=SHR, then how
can
>we be sure that TWO people won't try to update it at the same time
DISP=SHR?

>The problem -- and I'm being analytical and technical here, not critical of
>IBM or MVS -- is that the PDS ENQ mechanism is not granular enough. A
>thorough solution would require the ability to be OLD on a member but SHR
on
>the directory, and also provide for an "any number can read but only one
can
>write" sort of DISP. (SHR being "any number can read but none can write.")
>
>Charles

As I noted, if the updating is being done by Linkedit/Binder (as
opposed to IEBCOPY) there is an ENQ lock (QNAME=SYSIEWL [I think]
with RNAME=the DSN) that prevents other Linkedit/Binder instances
from accessing the PDS/PDSE while it is being updated. This does not,
however, impact anyone who is using the library as a JOBLIB/STEPLIB
(or as a LINKLIST dataset).