I was hoping one of the COBOL gurus would pick up on my assembler
example.  I haven't tried this, so I don't know what the compiler
will generate for the INSPECT (hopefully just a simple TRanslate
instruction), but this is the kind of thing I had in mind.  4-byte
internal-hex input goes into WS-HEX-INPUT-ARG and 8-byte external-
hex output comes out in WS-HEX-OUTPUT:

 01  WS-HEXWORK-AREA.
     05  WS-HEX-INPUT-AREA.
         10  WS-HEX-INPUT-ARG    PIC X(4).
         10  FILLER              PIC X.
     05  WS-HEX-INPUT-COMP3      REDEFINES WS-HEX-INPUT-AREA
                                 PIC S9(9) COMP-3.
     05  WS-HEX-OUTPUT-AREA.
         10  WS-HEX-OUTPUT       PIC X(8).
         10  FILLER              PIC X.
     05  WS-HEX-OUTPUT-DISPLAY   REDEFINES WS-HEX-OUTPUT-AREA
                                 PIC S9(9).
     MOVE WS-HEX-INPUT-COMP3 TO WS-HEX-OUTPUT-DISPLAY.
     INSPECT WS-HEX-OUTPUT CONVERTING
                          X'FAFBFCFDFEFF' TO 'ABDCEF'.

Art Celestini       Celestini Development Services
Phone: 201-670-1674                    Wyckoff, NJ
Mail sent to the "From" address  used in this post
will be rejected by our server.   Please send off-
list email to:  ibmmain<at-sign>celestini<dot>com.