Is there any reason why you're not using the VSM CHECKREGIONLOSS parameter in your DIAGxx member

Mark Jacobs

On 02/09/11 11:26, Donnelly, John P wrote:
How was the S822 corrected?
We get this occasionally and just drain and restart the failing initiator...
Our JOBCLASS is set to 4M...

John Donnelly
National Semiconductor Corporation
2900 Semiconductor Drive
Santa Clara, CA 95051

408-721-5640
408-470-8364 Cell
cjp...@nsc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Haynes, Stan
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:04 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Default REGION Size

We run a 4-system production sysplex using z/OS/JES2 1.11 augmented by Thruput
Manager.

As a result of an application area reporting one of their critical jobs abending S822 (issue since
corrected), we found ourselves noticing a very old parm value: default REGION size for all classes
via the JOBCLASS statement. It's still set to an 'ancient' value of 7M! Haven't assessed how many
of our jobs simply accept the default, but I'm thinking of changing the default region size for all
jobclasses  to a more current value of 32M. In this day and age, not sure how many programmers have
a handle on "used virtual storage", and not sure it should still matter! Jobs simply
shouldn't fail because of "region size" in this day and age IMHO.

I don't know how other shops handle this, and would like to read your
comments/thoughts/opinions on my suggested "new" default region size.

Cheers,

Stan Haynes
z/OS Systems Analyst
Canada Revenue Agency

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

Surrounding yourself with dwarfs does not make you a giant