On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:28:48 -0600, Hank Medler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hate to reply to myself, but I was wrong and it appears that the space is
>truly only freed when a SYSOUT is coded as FREE=CLOSE. Sorry, but even
>though it separates the output to another entry, the space is not freed
>when purging or printing the output of a non-FREE=CLOSE SYSOUT. Sorry, but
>I can't aid any help on the historic beginnings of freeing space on spin-
>off datasets... I haven't been around that long.
Correct
It cannot be freed because what you purge is a JOE ( Job Output Element )
Unfortunately JOE belongs to JQE ( Job Queue Element ) and the allocation
(the number of trackgroups used by the JOE's) is written in the JQE .
So unless you delete all elements ( that means you delete the JQE also  )
you do not free  the space as it remains allocated by the JQE .
This is from memory
For free=close i guess it is different and i do not know how it works .I
think it came with change in BERTs cleanup but i do not know how.
Bruno