One way to accomplish this would be to order, using ShopzSeries, all new
PTFs based off of a Service report of your SMP/E environment.  You can
find information on the ShopzSeries web-site about information on ordering
using the report and how to create these reports.  This will order the new
PTFs based off your current SMP/E environment which can then be manually
review for system impact and/or relavenance.

As am sure you have already noted:  The man power for this, depending on
your shop's size, could be a full-time FTE or more.

Craig

Skip Robinson <jo.skip.robin...@sce.com>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
04/07/2011 03:10 PM
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
Re: Identifying Latest zOS Fixes

First off, you don't want to track 'PTFs' so much as APARs. Often a single

APAR applies to multiple release levels, each of which will have its own
unique PTF. If you track and order by APAR, you can submit essentially the

same order for each level (CSI) that you support.

As far as knowing what to track, I use...

-- ASAP, a function of ServiceLink. Unfortunately I have not found a slick

way to tell ASAP about the FMIDs I want to track, but once you get them
all defined, you will get notified of important APARs for each tracked
FMID. 'Important' generally means PE, HIPER, or ATTENTION. There are
frequent, more or less daily, updates, but the number is not overwhelming.

-- FIXCAT (fix category). This info comes along with HOLDDATA when you
download 'ALL' data. A FIXCAT report tells you what important PTFs you're
missing. 'Important' here is defined by each support organization, which
supplies the HOLDDATA.

If you report the results of these tracking mechanisms, you should satisfy

this rather onerous demand. (Think pointy haired boss.) BTW any tracking
method may have trouble with z/OS 1.9, which despite your contract is
technically 'unsupported'.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson