Would it be practical to implement encryption at the Media Manager layer,
key label and access rule definitions maintained in the SMS dataclass,
similar to the way it's done in the distributed environment by the IBM
Encryption Expert product.  Basically, that product installs a shim in the
kernel just above the I/O driver level and transparent to the application
does the encrypt/decrypt operations.  An appliance serves the keys and
access rules to the affected servers, and from the sounds of things the
product supports common OS and file systems in the distributed world.

Storage based encryption is regarded as a secondary control, locally,
which is a whole different conversation.

The attraction to a MM level encryption scheme is that however we built
our indices we can encrypt anything we need to without app changes.
Layered on top of hardware encryption and with rules around what is
encrypted or decrypted and whether utilities can perform it (think IDCAMS
can't decrypt a cluster if some programmer repros it...) we have a solid
case to convince just about any regulator we're secure.

Enlighten me as to my naivete on the technical aspects of such a scheme.

Operating Systems and Connectivity Engineering
518-436-6433

Email Classification: KeyCorp Public
</pre>

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic
personal
information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose
such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which
you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

<pre>

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from
Key
send an e-mail to mailto:dnereque...@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in
the
SUBJECT line.