Anecdotally, I find my monthly run (Copy1->2) processes approx. 1,000 to 1,100
backup files in a 24 hour period.  The quarterly run (ArcEdit Copy1->1&2) that
processes 6 months of files - at about the same rate - can last 5-7 business
days (it stops overnight to free the 3 drives).

z9BC-Q02 with Ficon (2Gbit) attached 3590-E's in a single 3494 ATL.  The
process is never CPU constrained [1] and might/should improve with the new
z10BC-O02 & 8Gbit Ficon. [2]  Backup files all have 3390-3 sources.

Hope these rough numbers will give you something to compare against.

ps.  you realize that, for each file moved, all the Migrat1 entries have to be
adjusted in the catalogue as well as archive control file, right?  Have you
looked at the Dasd & CPU side of things as well?

[1]  I've found the job responds to being in a higher WLM Service class (a
little) but suspect it's related to the catalogue work.  It's a background
process here so I don't care when it takes hours longer.
[2]  Don't remember/know if the 3494/3590 Ficon was upgraded to match.

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer 2004