On Mon, 23 May 2011 08:42:25 -0500, Mark Zelden wrote:

>Instead of running UNIX under z/OS, I think you need to start working on
>running MVS under *nix.     If you start writing it now, you may have it
>done before you retire.    I'm sure Paul G. will be more than happy to
>help.  :-)

I'll cede that to the admirable work of Don Higgins:

    http://www.z390.org/

... or to the Hercules project, with which I'm even less familiar.

But I've long wondered whether more address spaces are created by
fork() or by classic job step initiation.  When/if the balance
tips to the side of fork(), it would make sense to optimize for
that, and make job step initiation the dependent function.

BTW, now that I'm following a topical thread, I'll digress that it's
ironic how much noise has been generated about how quiet IBM-MAIN
is.  Please, think before you "me too!"

-- gil