On 5/23/2011 8:37 AM, Mark Zelden wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 09:27:16 -0500, John McKown<joa...@swbell.net>  wrote:

Implementing MVS under *NIX is easy - run Hercules/390 and MVS 3.8j
under it. I do it for "fun" at home. Now, writing something so that a
z/OS program could run on a *NIX platform would be something else. And
it is easier to simply recompile your applications to run under *NIX or
Windows by getting a compatible COBOL compiler.
<snip>

I was joking of course, but I meant the latter.  "Emulate" (?) an MVS
environment under *nix.  Call it "Unix MVS System Services", or
just MSS for short.  :-)

Ahhh! The memorable Mass Storage System. Pluck, shuck, and play.
ISTR it was the 3950, but I could be wrong. I wrote training for
it back when I was with IBM; even had it translated into German.
But I can't find the books now (this was 1974-75 after all).

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our new tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html