It *may* be significant that he said *version* instead of *release*.
"Normally", the *version* is the number to the left of the first dot (e.g.,
version.release).  Assuming you currently license z/OS 1.4, I believe you
could order z/OS 1.7 and never use it; it's the same *version* that you're
currently running (only the *release* is different).  OTOH, if you're
currently running CICS TS 2.x and order TS 3.1, that's a different
*version*, and you might indeed be required to install and migrate to it
within a specified time after ordering it to avoid paying "dual" license
fees.  Note also that a new *version* usually means a "version upgrade
charge" (i.e., more money) as well.

    -jc-