>As for "never, ever, no way, should anybody never, ever not
>use a DISP even if they want the default of NEW,DELETE", that
>is also not realistic since it is done routinely when allocating
>temporary work files like SORTWK and SYSUT1, etc. type files.
>It clearly doesn't make sense to code a disposition for a data
>set that allows the DSNAME to default.

I'm with John here. Do code the DISP parameter. I especially
recommend this to newcomers.

The temporary work file cases you mention are surely candidates
for exception but aren't they often (mostly?) coded within
PROCs? And obsolete in many cases anyway.

And since this has not yet been explicitly mentioned: Johnny,
be aware that z/OS (MVS) does not support that two or more tasks
are simultaneously writing to a single sequential data set. This
is why you need to code DISP=OLD or MOD if you want to write to
a sequential data set. There are exceptions and "data set
organisations" that work differently (e.g. data bases).

Peter Hunkeler

Credit Suisse - Information Technology