> I tried using both HLQ ZWAXPG and SYS1 however

> for some reason SMS is trapping the TAPE1 DSN

if hlq ZWAXPG is 'trapped' by SMS, it means that your SMS ACS routines

are coded in order to assign a SC and a SG (ISTINT1) to datasets whose hlq is
ZWAXPG.

Which doesn't mean it is bad.

The problem which you seem to have here is that SG ISTINT1, which has 5
volumes, is not
able to allocate 1055 Cyls as primary space.

Can you try to reduce the primary space with a smaller value ?
Can you try to allocate the dataset with another SMS-owned hlq which will
choose a

bigger SG ?

Walter Marguccio
z/OS Systems Programmer