steve.do...@ccbcc.com (Steve Dover) writes:
> Phil, we had one at Allstate Insurance until 1990.  2540 reader/punch.
> I sure miss the chads, they were great fun in desks and cars.  But I
> do not miss hauling the 50 pound boxes around.

as undergraduate in the 60s ... univ. was using sense-marked cards (no.2
pencil) for class registration ... tables in the gym and students would
get card for each class and fill in their information. Then cards were
run thru and holes punched (solid manilla color cards)

registration program was moved from 709 to 360 with 2540 reader/punch.
all the cards were in large number of trays (about 3000 per ... about
box & half) were fed into the 2540 reader. I wrote subroutine to feed
into the middle stacker (stacker 3) ... registration program would
validate the registration information and if it found a problem, a blank
card would be "punched" behind it (middle stacker, stacker 3 was
selectable from both the reader and the punch). The punch had been
loaded with top-edge red-stripe cards ... so when everything was done
... it was possible to pick out class registration cards with errors
... by the top red-stripe edge card immediately following it in the
tray.