Don,
I agree - for those forced to run Windows, running Linux VMs under Windows
is a good option for education.   cygwin is also invaluable.

We use Linux desktops (currently Ubuntu 10.04), and have found also that
only a few things require Windoze.  VirtualBox is also a good VM host on
Linux for Windows VMs.

Some other benefits of Linux desktops that we have found:

- never had a virus, spyware, etc.  (but that doesn't mean that you don't
need firewalls, good security, etc)
- in 6 years, never had to reload the OS to speed it back up :-)
- with Linux, your package manager is like SMPE - it tracks your installed
programs.  After you get used to this, you never want to go back.
- the Ubuntu support community is fantastic

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com

PS> With a Unix/Linux client, our Dataset Pipes tools have some cool
capabilities not available on Windows