Back from my days in the computer room.
The 2540 had a long slanted card read station and you would place the cards to
be read in that. As the cards were being read the reader would vibrate the
cards so they would be ready to be read. To get all the static electricity out
of the cards.
The other side was the punch. Memory is iffy here. You could merge the cards
read if you wanted to into the third bin and also the insert punched cards.
Other wise the right 2 bins were only for reading of cards and the left two
bins were for punching. Its been years so don't come down on me if I am wrong.

Ed

:>http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/2540.html

:>Google ad: first hit with search words "IBM 2540 picture".

:>But, looking at the picture I realise I've forgotten which "feed" was the
reader "feed" and which was the punch "feed"!

I would bet that a lot of operators did as well.

http://www.dissensoftware.com