chrisma...@belgacom.net (Chris Mason) writes:
> The 2540 was an enormously versatile machine in that it not only
> supported the card reading function but also the card punching
> function.
>
> http://www.columbia.edu/cu/computinghistory/2540.html
>
> Google ad: first hit with search words "IBM 2540 picture".
>
> But, looking at the picture I realise I've forgotten which "feed" was
> the reader "feed" and which was the punch "feed"!

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011k.html#13 Last card reader?

reader ran faster than the punch ... punch had hopper for maybe couple
hundred cards (on left) ... reader had slopping tray feed (on the right)
could get at least a box of cards (2000)

bitsavers more detailed 2540 (but poorly scanned ... hard to make out
details)
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/A21-9033-1_2540_CompDescr.pdf

1402 was similar ... lot more detail & better scan:
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/140x/231-0002-2_1402_Card_Read-Punch_CE_Manual_1962.pdf

bitsaver is also good for older tab machines:
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/punchedCard/