Micheal:

Yes, as I recall, SYNC (SVC 12) was designed to invoke exit routines on behalf of system routines (like OPEN, CLOSE, etc.), and therefore calls on the program by its address (found in some exit list or exit pointer), whereas LINK (SVC 6) calls out a program by name (as Binyamin says) and was intended for calling separately compiled program subroutines, which would have a CDE (either created by the LOAD or LINK SVC routine).

Mike Myers
Mentor Services Corporation