Miklos Szigetvari wrote:

>Just curious

All right. I'm glad you asked! :-D

>What do you expect to see in a monitoring dashboard ?

You can look in the first posting of the original thread, but I repeat here
something similar after having discussions with a lot of persons and looking at
websites offering similar products.

We want something with a color coded thing (Think HMC's background for example
or the RMF III monitor bar for screen 'Sysplex Summary' and color coded lines
of WLM entries)

Really very crude example (with data collectors over a wide range of h/w and
s/w):

System A - Up (shown in GREEN).
TELNET X - Available.
Database A running since 07:00. (shown in GREEN)
Database B DOWN since 08:00  Estimated Uptime 10:00 (shown in RED background
and yellow letters)
Database C DOWN from 07:50 to 08:00. Now UP (shown in ORANGE)
SYSTEM X - SCHEDULED DOWN-TIME 19:00-20:00 Date next Sunday (shown in BLUE)
Call Centre software - UP. (Green)
Unix on machine XYZ - UP. (Green)
Linux Image A - UP. (Green)
Website X.Z.Y - UP. (Green)

Above could be shown only during 'Office Hours', for example.

Of course, the word 'up' is not really that simple. 'up' word meaning is
different amongst a wide audience.
'Up' for example may means app X is up and running, but that does not means
'reachable'.
'Up' means for one person, the WHOLE business day. For another, during certain
hours only.

Think also of 'ping' - the IP address is reachable, but the actual webpages
only show 'Under Construction'.

I leave the gory stuff for my management. :-D

>As we are a small test shop, I have limited ideas, what would be important to
>see

As always, YMMV. It is YOU and your management who decides what is important.

If you can, please share what is *important* to you. Perhaps you know something
'veddy zekrit'! :-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

(Very Secret! - For those who are being English challenged... ;-D )