|  There is a simple way; a raw time value refers to the current day. It
|  is not, of course, suitable for use in files that must be read on a
|  different day, but it is perfectly appropriate for use in human
|  interfaces. You know this.

I do indeed know it.  To my wife on the telephone, I may well say,
"I'll be back at 10:30" or the like.  Such statements are insulated
from date and time-zone ambiguity because they are local and
ephemeral.

I would not write a program that had embedded in it the heroic
assumption that a time value was a time value for some current day
(bad) and time zone (worse), and I do not really think that Shmuel
would do so either.

The problem here is that  'human interfaces' are not all of a piece,
and Shmuel knows this.   My interface with my wife of 51 years admits
of telegraphic brevity and much apparent but not in fact substantive
ambiguity.  Computer-system 'human interfaces', on the other hand,
must be explicit and as unambiguous as we can make them.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA