Lizette:  we also encountered a 'lost' tape with our 3494 ATL.  In the linear
frames/"hallway" where the gripper runs, there is a supporting strut/bar along
the floor that parallels the gripper's drive/"tooth" track.  The bar is wide
enough & just high enough above the floor panels to hide a 3590 cartridge.  The
cartridge isn't visible unless you're looking back towards the open door ie.
from the drive side of the "hallway".   (Our ops guy spotted it by accident
when he was leaning inside the frame to look closely at the drive status panel
and caught a flash of colour from the external tape label.)

Don't know if this translates to your TS3500 but you might "cop a feel" along
the floor panels to see what (other than dust bunnies) you might discover in
the nooks & crannies.  (The same ops guy found two more cartridges elsewhere in
the 3494 by touch.  We speculate that the gripper lost contact while spinning
to the opposite side essentially launching the cartridge across the floor like
a Frisbee.)

---------->  signature = 6 lines follows <--------------
Neil Duffee, Joe SysProg, U d'Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
telephone:1 613 562 5800 x4585                 fax:1 613 562 5161
mailto:NDuffee of uOttawa.ca     http:/ /aix1.uottawa.ca/ ~nduffee
"How *do* you plan for something like that?" Guardian Bob, Reboot
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."
"Systems Programming: Guilty, until proven innocent" John Norgauer 2004