Jim,

I'm not sure that I fully understand your question.  DS defines or
maps storage.

In a CSECT or RSECT it defines the extent and makeup of storage
WITHOUT initializing it.

In a DSECT it merely maps storage, provides one of perhaps several
alternative interpretations of the data type or data types and numbers
of the elements in some block of storage.

Nominal values, as I said in my earlier post, are optional and usually
dispensable in DSs but not in DCs.   Offhand, I can think of no real
use for nominal values in any but packed-decimal fields, but I have a
nagging sense that I am being dumb about this, that there may be some
few others.  They are, however, unusual; and they should, I think, be
avoided where they are dispensable.

John Gilmore, Ashland MA 01721 - USA